Monday, May 11, 2009

R.I.P Holly

I pointed out this holly tree, to the right of the front door, to Paul.  For some reason it’s twice as big as the holly tree on the opposite side.  A few years ago, someone else seriously botched a pruning job: instead of shortening some of the lower branches so that they didn’t whack one in the face, they just sawed the lower branches off completely, resulting in a lollipop look.

Paul agreed that it was time for the tree to go.  We discussed replacing it with another holly to match the remaining one, and he said he’d get me some quotes.  Then they sawed it down.  It caused quite a kerfuffle amongst the birds, but I’m not too worried.  I’m sure they’ll find another comfy place to hang out, like on the pool furniture I just cleaned.

But now that I look at it, I think I like it better without a tree there.  It reveals all the interesting architecture in that corner of the house.  Maybe some kind of low shrub?  I just hope that Paul doesn’t show up with a replacement without calling or asking, as is his style.

No comments:

Post a Comment